For some of us, this is a joyful day when we can spend some time with our mother… honour her… laugh with her…. share memories (and cake!). And for those of us who are mothers or grandmothers, we can delight in the time spent with our children.
But for others, it can be a poignant day, a day of loss. Perhaps you have lost your mother, as I did three years ago. Perhaps you have lost a child or miscarried. Perhaps you have a strained (or non-existent) relationship with your mother or child. Perhaps you are struggling with fertility.
However you choose to experience this day, consider holding a ritual to celebrate Motherhood in a way that is powerful and meaningful for you.
Perhaps you can…
- honour our Great Mother — Danú , Gaia, Pachamama — or your Goddess
- hold sacred space and love for the relationship you would like to have with your mother
- step into a place of unconditional love, of healing and forgiveness
- honour whoever is a mother to you in your life now
- honour the child you wish to bring into this world or the child you lost
- honour all mothers in a simple blessing
- honour the women who are special to you – sisters, ancestors, friends
- honour your Self and the medicine and gifts you have given our world…. ideas, children, relationships, beauty, art…
🌸 A RITUAL FOR THE GREAT MOTHER 🌸
These are only suggestions and I would encourage you to create your own ritual, perhaps using this as a starting point. You could do this on your own, or in Circle with others.
- Collect some items for offerings to the Divine Feminine, the Great Mother of us all, whatever works for you and holds meaning for you: crystals, wild flowers, rose petals, or pebbles. Have something for each person/spirit you are honouring in the ritual.
- Decorate your altar with items that represent both the Divine Feminine and Motherhood to you. These can be mementoes such as a piece of jewellery, a photo, a treasured gift, or items from nature such as a nest, an egg, a flower.
- Place three candles on your altar to represent The Maiden, the Mother, the Crone. I like to use white and yellow on my altar but do consider using a red candle, representing our sacred flow.
- Add a chalice or a bowl as a symbol of the Divine Feminine. This will be used in the ritual representing the womb. Add a small amount of pure water or blessing water.
🌿 TO BEGIN 🌿
Breathe deeply, relax and connect to the grounding energies of Mama Earth.
Create sacred space by calling in the directions, your guides, allies, ancestors… whoever supports you spiritually.
Light your candles.
Start by giving your blessings and gratitude to our Great Mother and all the mothers you wish to honour…. it could be along the lines of:
“I thank you, Great Mother, for birthing this place we call home, this Earth that gives us food and shelter, that nourishes us. Your love supports me. Your wisdom illuminates my life. Your energy flows within me. Thank you, Danú.”
For each offering, hold the item to your Heart Chakra and connect with both the person you are honouring and the item. Imbue it with your love, your intentions, your gratitude. As you place your offering into the chalice or bowl give words of thanks, being as specific as possible. For instance:
“My Heart and Soul thank our Great Mother, who nurtures and comforts us all, who protects us from harm, who unconditionally loves her Self and her loved ones.”
“My Heart and Soul thanks my mother-in-law who has always shown me unconditional love and embraced me with care.”
With your last offering, honour YOU and give thanks to YOU, in your own words, such as:
“I am thankful for my gifts of _____________________ (e.g. music, wisdom, dance, strength, healing, etc) that are my Medicine for this world, and for all that I have birthed ________________ (e.g. children, ideas, art, etc). I honour all aspects of my own Divine Feminine: the Goddess within, the Maiden, The Mother and the Crone. They are me and I am them. Thank you, Great Mother.”
When your offerings are complete, take some time to connect, journey or meditate with the Great Mother and ask for her wisdom. Give thanks to her when she does so.
Close by thanking the directions, your guides, allies, ancestors… whoever supports you spiritually.
Blow out the candles.
Celebrate with Hugs:)
If you love working with Mother Earth, following the energies of Grandmother Moon (Seanmháthair Gealach), aligning with the energy of the Celtic Wheel of The Year, or are interested in learning more about this path, you will find great resources – and the opportunity to ask questions, share rituals, and more – in our NEW private Facebook Group, the Wise Woman Bean Gealach Circle. Limited to those who identify as women. For more information about the Circle, CLICK HERE
Connect to your purpose, your medicine, eliminate self-limiting beliefs, and integrate the new wisdom into your life through this unique you-centered blend of shamanic coaching and journeys, energy healing, alchemical healing, Earth Medicine, PSYCH-K® and PER-K® balancing, and six-sensory work. Together we draw on the modalities that best support your journey. Click on the picture for more information or visit our website: www.innerjourneyevents.com
Do you want a better understanding of the Wheel of the Year and how its shifting energies can support your own transformation and growth, support you in aligning with the rhythms of Nature itself? Subscribers receive regular free ebooks and articles, such as Celebrating the Equinox, along with tips for their personal practices, advance notice on free events and webinars, and much much more!