The Full Moon marks both the point of fullness in the monthly lunar cycle but also the start of the waning cycle, as the Moon’s energy shifts from Yang energy back to Yin energy, decreasing in brightness as LaLuna moves towards the end of her cycle.
This is a time of healing and rejuvenation, and the perfect time to release anything negative or unneeded that you might have carried from the last Full Moon.
During our Full Moon ritual, we release all those negative or burdensome energies to Grandmother Moon and the Goddess and ask her to renew and fill our spirit again on our monthly journey.
There are many ways to release during your Full Moon ritual, and I always like to incorporate prominent elements of the current month into my ritual. This month we have the Air energy of Aquarius, so think about ways you can bring those elements onto your altar: feathers, incense, a sound bowl, chimes, the colours white and yellow…. and Thyme for Courage in your work.
Meditate or journey before you begin your Full Moon ritual… contemplating on those now freed memories triggered by your Lughnasadh meditations and the Lunar Eclipse, those lumps of coal awaiting transformation to sparkling diamonds.
These are what you can now release, let go, let goddess take.
FULL MOON RITUAL
PREPARING SACRED SPACE
Set your altar with white and yellow candles representing LaLuna and the Air Element, and any other elements that are important to you.
Create sacred space by smudging with Thyme (either a simple wand made from a few sprigs, or dried Thyme in a fireproof vessel). Thyme represents courage and will support your courageous transformation. Or, choose a preferred herb that resonates with you.
I like this technique: Using your smudging bundle, incense wand or vessel, slowing start to trace a counter-clockwise spiral from your feet to above your head, widening the circle the higher you go. Then smudge around the room, if indoors.
Create a positive intention for the ritual. It can be as simple as “Today I release all that no longer serves me”.
CALL IN THE DIRECTIONS
Call in the Directions (or whatever process you use to create Sacred Space).
You could use something like the following, which calls in the Four Directions of East, South, West and North and also Above, Below, Within. But be sure to customize for you… calling in YOUR guides, YOUR allies.
- I call to the East, Air, and new beginnings, for my voice and agility of my mind, and I Brighid, Goddess of Springtime, for her support and vision.
(FYI, “Sea” is Gaelic for “yes”, and is pronounced SHA; you can also use HO, or AHO, or whatever words you normally use)
- I call to the South, Fire, for my spirit and creativity, and I call to Áine, Goddess of Sun for her support and passion. Sea (SHA)
- I call to the West, Water, for the power of my emotion, for love and courage and an open heart, and I call on Mamai (Mother) Mara of the seas for her support and cleansing flow, for harmony between my Divine Masculine and Divine Feminine. Sea (SHA)
- I call to the North, Earth, for the grounding of my Spirit, for peace and stillness within, and I call on An Cailleach, the Wise Crone, and my ancestors for their guiding light and wisdom. Sea (SHA)
- I to the worlds below, our blessed Mother Earth, Danú, for the abundance and Life she has brought us and for all her children… all our relations… our animal allies, the Sidhe (pronounced SHEE), the plants, animals, mountains and rivers. Sea (SHA)
- I call to the worlds above, our blessed Seanmháthair Gealach (Grandmother Moon) and Daghda (Father Sky), the Star Nations, our spirit guides and ask for protection and wisdom today. Sea (SHA)
- I stand in the Centre, with and within my Self, standing amongst the Source of all Love, Creation and Spirit, and ask for the blessings of this journey, of this life. I ask the support and blessing of the Great Spirit, the source of all love and creation, and give gratitude for this life. Sin é. (Gaelic for “thats it”, pronounced “Shin-ay”)
MEDITATION AND RELEASE
Look up to the Moon (if indoors, visualize the moon in your mind’s eye) and breathe in the power and cleansing energy of the Moon. Feel its light and energy flow from your head down through each of your your chakras, all the way down to your feet, feeling that beautiful light fill you and support you.
Use the power of Air — your Voice — to release.
Continue breathing slowly and deeply until you feel fully connected to your Wise Inner Self, and to Spirit.
And in the light of the Moon, being reading out your list of things to release, saying “I now release you” for each item on your list. Breathe out the energy of that which no longer serve you after each release statement. Continue until it feels complete.
Stay for a moment in that energy… how it feels to be unburdened, to let go, to let Goddess heal you, to be fully connected to your true Self and to Spirit.
Remember that. Hold onto that. You can come back to that feeling at any time.
CLOSE THE CIRCLE WITH GRATITUDE
Close the Directions in the same way you opened it, but instead of calling on each ally or direction, thank them instead… give gratitude.
Blow out your candles and savour the moment.
Blessed Be, SiStars