Throughout the 12 Days of Solstice (a Fire celebration), I feel a profound connection not just to the Fire and Light of Father Sun but to all the Elements — Earth, Fire, Air and Water — and I use these in one final ritual for my 12 Days of Solstice, both a release and a blessing.
In this practice, I call on the Four Directions (East, South, West and North) and the Four Elements (Air, Fire, Water and Earth) to celebrate the lengthening of the days and the glimpse of spring at the end of winter.
Solstice is a perfect time to work with the Fire element especially, as it is at Solstice that we celebrate the Fire of Father Sun, and the return of his light as the Wheel of the Year continues in its rotation from Winter and — soon — towards Spring.
Fire nourishes our Heart (Fourth) Chakra, the seat of love, empathy and compassion, and the Inner Fire of our Heart Chakra is also nurtured by the other elements: the Earth of our Root Chakra, the Water of our Sacral Chakra and the Air of our Solar Plexus. The Heart burns brightly when fed by all of them.
Use the element of Fire — and your Heart Chakra — to recharge your own Inner Fire, your Inner Cauldrons, and to release all things that might “dampen” it, especially those things that no longer serve you — beliefs, relationships, possessions, spiritual “baggage” — as you enter a new calendar year.
A Fire Ritual to Close the 12 Days of Solstice
On this first day of the new calendar year, consider creating a candle meditation or fire ritual at Solstice to release that which you do not want to carry forward into 2019.
- Begin by relaxing and grounding yourself, and crated your Sacred Space.
- Call on your allies, ancestors, guides and Spirit to support you in this ritual, in this release and transformation
- Invoke this elemental blessing (click here for source):
As the earth grows colder,
the winds blow faster,
the fire dwindles smaller,
and the rains fall harder,
let the light of the sun
find its way home.
- Visualize that you are drawing up all those no longer needed elements, things and “stuff” into your Inner Cauldron, the crucible of your Heart Chakra
- Imagine that your Inner Fire consumes and transforms them into new and powerful energies that will sustain you, honour you, free you and recharge you. Move them from the Shadow into the Light.
- Once you feel this process is complete, thank your allies, ancestors, guides and Spirit for their support, and close your Sacred Space.